Saturday, September 20, 2008

September 18

Today was 50s day at the kids school. I remember 50s day from my middle school days. I'm actually kind of surprised that they don't do 80s day or something now (but relieved - I think I would feel REALLY old if they did 80s day). Anyway, Caty INSISTED she had to have a poodle skirt for this day. I tried to tell her that she could just roll a pair of jeans and wear a big shirt and a scarf in her hair but noooooooooo, HAD TO HAVE A POODLE SKIRT. I made her agree that this costume that I would have to buy will be her Halloween costume this year. Yes, I am prepared for the sighing, long wistful looks, and possible tears next month when I take the boys shopping for costumes and she can't get one. Don't worry, I'm made of steel *snort*. Here she is, but I didn't like any of the full length pictures I took - oops! Don't worry - the "poodle skirts" they sell these days are only poodle skirts in that they have the stupid dog on them. The skirt itself ended at her knee. How costume makers think poodle skirts aren't supposed to be ankle length is beyond me. The ones that WERE ankle length were $40. Sorry, Babe, I don't spend that kind of money on my clothes most of the time - I'm not spending it on a costume.


Alex was in a sort of pickle. He's grown since last fall and none of his jeans fit him. His t-shirts are also tight on him - at least his plain white ones. He ended up in dark blue pants and a "madras" shirt. He wouldn't tuck his shirt in, though so he THOUGHT he was 50s, but he looked like a kid just going to school (don't tell him). He was actually willing to SMILE for these pitures (Hell must be freezing over). Silly me - I'd forgotten that guys either wore a DA or a brush cut in those days. I was so focused on trying to slick his (and Billy's) hair back that I didn't think to spike it and make it look like a "brush". Ah well.

Finally, we have Billy - who came downstairs today in a red t-shirt and gray shorts and declared he was NOT dressing for 50s day. No problem, I'm not going to argue. However, in the course of trying to find something more 50s for Alex, I found my black, leather motorcycle jacket. This thing is the real deal and has to weigh at least 5 pounds. It was too big for Alex, but it fit Billy perfectly. The weight of the jacket had to feel great to him (he loves deep pressure so this jacket had the same effect as a weighted blanket or vest for him - very calming). I asked him if he wanted to wear the jacket and he said yes so I told him to go put on some jeans and a white t-shrit and then he could wear it for school. He was cool with this idea - yay!! Here he is =)

2 comments:

Susan's 365 said...

Love all the photos...the kids look great!

Unknown said...

They are adorable. Love Billy's jacket.