Sunday, May 18, 2008

May 18


Today was the big Walk Now for Autism 5K. I don't know what to say about it. Today was a chilly day - only about 50 degrees - and windy (don't mind Billy. We swear the kid is part polar bear. The rest of us have three layers of clothes on). It was pretty miserable down at the Lakefront (the walk was at Soldier Field). We took the train down and a bus to the stadium - it took two hours to commute. The walk itself was kinda bleh. Registration started at 8:00 and the walk started at 10:30. We didn't get there until 10:30. There was no real organized "walk" part of the day. Once you turned in your registration packet you were free to walk - or not - and look around at the vendors and do the activities they had for kids (mostly inflatable bounce houses). We had originally planned on taking the 2:30 train home, but by 11:45 we'd had enough and headed back to the train station to get the 12:30 train instead.

On the bright side, we spent the day with the kids, for a good cause. Bill and I raised $2900 between the two of us for Autism Speaks and Cure Autism Now. Thank you SO MUCH to those of you that donated to support us. We were both so touched by the generosity of the people we know.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I wish I could have been there. I'm off my foot as much as possible - achilles tendonitis. I did reasie just about $200 with the checks I still need to mail in. CONGRATS!!! Bummed I didn't get to see you. :(