Saturday, March 1, 2008

March 1


Today was an awesome day! I went to an autism conference where Temple Grandin, PhD was the keynote speaker. It was the first time I have SEEN her speak. A few years ago, Bill and I attended a difference conference where she was supposed to speak, but she was sick so she did her presentation via telephone. Anyway, she was great! She is very frank when she speaks and shares so much about being autistic. Today she talked a lot about identifying and developing talents in people on the spectrum that can later be used to springboard into careers. I bought her book about the subject, Developing Talents, and she signed it during one of the intermissions. I've read some of her others so I was very excited to purchase this book. One of the people I was there with has Animals in Translation and is going to let me borrow it. Another friend purchased Unwritten Rules of Social Relationships and is going to let me borrow that one when she finishes it. I love listening to people on the spectrum speak and reading their books - their insight is invaluable to me.

There were five presentations today. The first was on hippotherapy, which I am considering for Caty and Alex rather than Billy (the place that does it has a Siblings Group for siblings of children with disabilities), two were on biomedical treatments/holistic treatments, Temple Grandin spoke, and the last one was about school collaboration. All of the presentations were informative and interesting and I had a great time. One of the vendors was selling raffle tickets for $1.00. I bought one and put it into the mix to win a really cool backpack loaded with T-shirts, books, a bracelet, and other things. I WON!! The perfect ending to the day =)

I wish the picture I had was better - I've got to start carrying my real camera instead of my phone. This is Temple Grandin at the beginning of her presentation.

3 comments:

Tiffany said...

Very cool! I am glad you something out of it!

Kellie said...

Wow, that's awesome. I've seen a couple of interviews with her, a long long time ago. I bet she was an excellent speaker.

LotoFoto said...

She sounds like a great speaker. How great that there are organizations out there, that put these kinds of events together, so people can continue to learn.
I cannot believe you won that raffle too... Are you one of those super lucky people??