Thursday, February 14, 2008

February 13

This is another reason why I love where we live. Look closely. Can you see it?


The crop farms around here, naturally, are an abundant food source for small rodents. This, of course, means there are a lot of natural predators for small rodents around here, too. One of them is red-tailed hawks. I don't know why, but I LOVE them. In the warmer seasons you see them lazily soaring above the fields , looking around for food. In the colder temps, you have to look harder to find them, but they are there - sitting on phone lines, on top of utility poles, and in trees. I usually see at least one each morning on my way to work and it is such a thrill. Yesterday I saw three. Today I remembered to bring my camera and I'm glad I did.


This guy was hanging out in a tree along the highway, watching the cars go by. He was looking at me when I took his picture. I can't believe how fat he appears (I'm guessing he was puffing out his feathers to keep warm, but he is still huge)

5 comments:

Cat Herder said...

He's really pretty. DH's parents get bald eagles quite a lot in their yard. They're gorgeous.

Susan's 365 said...

What a great photo.

Unknown said...

Cool picture! I thought it was an owl at first. LOL

Tiffany said...

Very cool! I love them too!!

LotoFoto said...

I thought it was an owl too!