Tuesday, January 29, 2008

January 28

Body Sox rule! Being a special ed teacher definitely has its perks. One of them is being around therapists all day long. One of my good friends is an occupational therapist. She is the OT Supervisor for the program that Billy attends and is also the therapist for the program I teach. Last week Billy had a particularly rough day and I was telling her how deep pressure seems to calm him down. She gave me a weighted blanket to try with him (he used it last night and it was probably the fastest he has ever fallen asleep) and also a Body Sox. Body Sox are like giant, stretchy pillowcases. They provide sensory input to your joints when you stretch them (proprioceptive input) and spatial awareness (knowing where your body is in space). Billy knew what it was immediately when I showed it to him. No doubt they use them in his program at school. Unfortunately the sock is too small for him, but the kids had a great time trying it out last night.

9 comments:

Kelly said...

I have never heard of a body sock. Sounds like a neat concept. That Billy is a riot. He looks like he would be a great comedian.

LotoFoto said...

Your kids look like a blast!
Are you gonna get one that fits?

Unknown said...

I was shown how to make one of these and I SWEAR one of these days I'll do it (or breakdown and buy one. LOL) I've also considered a weighted blanket for the boys. They fall asleep, but never stay asleep. I can't remember the last time they didn't wake up in the middle of the night.

Looks like they really had fun with it. LOL. Glad it helped Billy!

Renfield said...

LOTO: I'm not sure about the body sock. I would really love to get him a weighted blanket to keep, but they cost over $150.

Emily said...

LOL, hey that looks like fun. I want one!

;)

Tiffany said...

I want one! It looks like fun!!

Susan's 365 said...

Your kids crack me up!

Could you find someone that can make a weighted blanket for you?

Susan's 365 said...

BTW...I just checked on ebay and there are quite a few weighted blankets starting at what seems like very reasonable prices.

Mary said...

that body sox looks very cool! I hope you are able to find an inexpensive weighted blanket!