Sunday, January 27, 2008

January 26

Today my mom and I took the kids to the Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago (above). It is by far my favorite museum in the city. Admission to the museum if free until the end of this month because they will be closing it during February to do some renovating and add some new exhibits. Some of the exhibits are already closed and being worked on, but we still had a great time. Below is a picture of all of us in front of the U505 Submarine. It is a picture of a picture they took at the museum. Now you can see me and my grandmalike qualities (rolling eyes). And seriously, I don't know what the hell is wrong with my boys. They must have a secret pact that at least one of them has to be making a face in a picture.


One of the things I like about going to the museum is being in Chicago. I grew up about 20 miles from the city. We would take school field trips to the museums downtown and when I was little, my grandpa worked downtown. We'd go to the city a few times a year. As we now live in a rural area, my kids don' t get to see Chicago but one or two times a year. The LOVE it. Yesterday I took pictures of some Chicago landmarks while driving to and from the museum. For those from here or familiar with Chicago, I took these pictures on Congress and Michigan and along Lake Shore Drive.

This is one of two Chief Crazy Horse sculptures at the intersection of Congress and Michigan Avenue. I am heading back to the suburbs in this picture. When looking the other way, you are approaching Lake Shore Drive and Buckingham Fountain and Grant Park is to your right.


Below is another one of my favorite places in Chicago - Soldier Field, home of my beloved Chicago Bears. *sigh* Happy thoughts. I love footbal!!!


Next is a (bad) shot of the Sears Tower from Lake Shore Drive. I was heading North on LSD and trying to take pictures of the skyline while driving. NOT SMART! LOL! This was as good as I got. Stupid Grant Park! What are trees doing in the middle of the city, anyway? LOL!


We spent the whole day at the museum. By the time we got home the sun was setting. It was a pretty sunset, so I grabbed a quick picture from the top of my block. No skyscrapers here!

8 comments:

Kelly said...

I really wanted to go the museum when I was there but I just wasn't there long enough. And I remember seeing that horse!

Susan's 365 said...

Those are great pictures Tracey. I haven't been to the museums since I was a kid on a field trip. Next time we're there that's on the top of my list with the boys.

Tiffany said...

Cool pictures! I love the sunset one!

Mary said...

Sounds like a great day! I love the family one--yeah, grandma my ass.

and the sunset one is a perfect ending :-)

Unknown said...

What a great time!! I love that museum. Had no idea it was free this month! Bummer! We missed the Star Wars exibhit too. :(

Krishna said...

Wonderful pictures. I'd love to spend time somewhere it snows but don't think I'd like to be in it all winter. Tooo cold.

Emily said...

Those are awesome pictures!

LotoFoto said...

omg you have made me unbelieveably homesick. I didn't think seeing pics of Chicago would do that to me. I knew exactly where you were for each pic. I'd love to come in for a long weekend and just 'do' the city. I miss it so much.